Fouad Masri is a Lebanese Christian who has a passion for sharing the love of Christ with Muslims. In 1993, he founded the Crescent Project (www.crescentproject.org) to nurture transformational relationships between Christians and Muslims and overcome misconceptions about Islam and Christianity. His books, CONNECTING WITH MUSLIMS: A GUIDE TO COMMUNICATING EFFECTIVELY, and AMBASSADORS TO MUSLIMS: BUILDING BRIDGES TO THE GOSPEL are excellent surveys of how to build friendships with Muslims and meet their spiritual needs.
One of the most helpful tools is a simple Christian response to the Five Pillars of Islam. He calls it the Five Basic Beliefs of All Christians. It is easy to memorize and to share with others. He contends that Christians across the world are unified by five core beliefs. We call these the “Five Pillars of Christianity.”
- One God – Christians believe in one God, the creator of the heavens and the earth. He is the only one to be worshipped. :For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth… yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and through whom we live.” (1 Corinthians 8:5-6)
- One Savior – Christians believe in one Savior who redeemed all humans. The Messiah Jesus is the Word of God become flesh. He was born of the Virgin Mary and was sinless from birth. His death and resurrection saves us from our sin. “Grace has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ, Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life.” (2 Timothy 1:10)
- One Spirit – Christians are filled and empowered by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God who indwells and empowers all Christians to lead a godly life. “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you; and you will be my witnesses… to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)
- One Message – Christians are unified by one message. The message of the Injeel (the New Testament) is the basis of all the beliefs of Christians. “Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. ‘The time has come,’ he said. ‘The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!’ (Mark 1:14-15) “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- One Family – Christians are part of one family. “There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” (Galatians 3:28) “Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God – children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” (John1:12-13)
These five basic beliefs are a great tool in witnessing.